Wednesday

Benguet -- Baguio City -- Bit By Macky the Monkey

This news brought mixed reactions from my family and friends. Afterall, it is rare to be bit by a monkey. 

It was our second day in Baguio and as planned, we went to the Philippine Military Academy. It was Sunday and many tourists were also visiting the area. The taxi dropped us off near a souvenir shop. And since we do not know where to go first at the area, we checked out the shop first.
Indeed, COURAGE was used when I went to PMA
I saw the monkey and thought that it is a pet of the shop owner. The monkey is eating a piece of biscuit which it held with its two hands. When I stepped forward to look at a certain item, in a flash, the monkey attacked my left leg and somewhat hugged me. My first reaction was, in a frightened voice, "Oi, niyakap nya legs ko." That is when the storekeeper "shoo" it away.
maliit pero matinik!
After a few minutes, I felt pain in in my leg, I immediately pulled my pants up and looked at the source of the pain, and was surprised to see blood. It did not occur to me that I was bit, I really thought that I was just scratched since I really saw that the monkey hugged my leg. Anyway, my friends were alarmed and by the instructions given by the storekeeper, we immediately went to the hospital to be checked.
the anti-tetanus shot
wacky shot to take away the fear
When I was interviewed by the medical staff about my case, laughter and smiles were always part of their reaction when I told them that a monkey was to be blamed. The doctor examined me and looked at the wound. By the shape of it he concluded that it was indeed a bite. They gave me an anti-tetanus shot and I was advised to go to San Lazaro Hospital in Manila for the series of anti-rabies vaccine.

Later did I know that Macky the Monkey also bit another person two weeks before. They say that Macky is astray but then fed by other inhabitants in the area. So I can't really demand for the "owner" to pay for my medical bills, since there is no "real owner." So overall, when I am asked how much I spent on my first trip to Baguio, I would say around Php15,000 since I have spent so much on the series of vaccines that I have to undergo inorder to be safe.
having my breakfast while waiting for my number to be called at
San Lazaro Hospital

my first shot of anti-rabies; really, it does not hurt that much kids.
not even a small wound can stop me from climbing this tree house
Though hurt and worried, I am thankful for my friends and the staff at the PMA hospital and San Lazaro Hospital for taking care of me. Of course, a little wound did not stop me from exploring the rest of the academy and the rest of the beautiful city of Baguio. Until now, my niece would tell me not to go back to the city because Macky might be waiting to bite me.

Meet the World,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics