Sunday

Benguet -- La Trinidad -- Strawberry Farm

Baguio has become one of my favorite city in the country. I just love its cool weather and the very good people living here, not to mention the honest taxi drivers and the cheap taxi rates. It has been my dream to spend the cool month of December in this city. And so my wish did come true when I had some vacation leave from my work which I need to consume before the year ends.

I have been to most of Baguio's tourist spots. So this time, I will visit the famous strawberry farms. I thought before, you need to travel far to reach this place as it is already outside the city. Good thing I learned from a friend that you could actually ride a taxi to the farm! I rode a taxi and asked the driver to bring me to La Trinidad's strawberry fields. And I was surprised yet again that I only payed around Php 150 for the one way trip.
different stages of the life of strawberry...
I was amazed as again, there are so many people in the place! I have thought that since it is away from the city, and not during summer, there would be few people enjoying the place.

The farm is a large field planted with strawberries. Each plot, I guess, has a different owner. It is free to go inside and tour the field. If you decide to pick your own strawberries, you can do so but you have to pay Php 400 per kilogram, much more expensive than the ones you did not pick. I ask the farmer why do we have to pay much, that they should be the one paying us because we reduced their work. But she answered me that we are paying for the rare experience of picking strawberries. Of course, as frugal as I am, I let go of the said experience and just took pictures of people enjoying the "pick-up."
pretending to pick-up some fruits
After roaming around and appreciating the beauty of the farm, I went outside to check out the souvenir shoppes. An ice cream vendor caught my attention and he sold me some strawberry ice cream! Even if I am not a fan of ice cream myself, I did not let go of the chance and tasted the ever so yummy strawberry flavored dirty ice cream! Naimas! At Php20, it is worth up to the last drop!
Oh so yummy strawberry ice cream
After some picture taking while eating the ice cream, thanks to the friendly vendor, I shopped around for some souvenirs and pasalubongs. Souvenirs in Baguio are not expensive, but a tip, buy them at the central market at the city and the price would even go lower!
the vast strawberry fields
I went back to Baguio City by commuting, riding in a jeep that is bound for the city proper. And then I walked back to the hotel, passing through several fruit stands and food stalls.  Ah the fruits are so cheap and of good quality! I will always come back to this place.

Meet the World,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics