Wednesday

Batangas Port – On My Way to Pueto Galera

Okay, so it has been a long time since I have written in this blog. I stopped writing but I continue going to different places in our country. Anyway, as I decided to write again, I will start with my latest travel to Puerto Galera in the province of Oriental Mindoro.

People close to me really know how much I love the water (well, now you know too!). That is why when I travel, I get over excited when a beach, a pool or any bodies of water is the destination. Since I am in Manila and I have no planned trip, I just decided to go to Puerto Galera. I have heard and read so much about the place that it made me curious to visit it. Some say it is like Boracay with the white sand and parties at the beach. I researched and planned my trip. I allotted Php 3000 budget for an overnight stay at the beachfront.
I left Manila and rode the JAM bus to Batangas at around 7am. It arrived at Batangas Port around 10am. 

At the Batangas Port, I think I looked pretty lost and ignorant (duh!), a man approached me and discussed to me options in going to Galera. Damn, really I do not like these people, sometimes I feel harassed. But anyway, since he showed me a phamplet of the Minolo Shipping Lines’ schedule (I opted to ride this boat due to reviews and blogs I read that this shipping line is the safest), I entertained him. He accompanied and guided me to the Minolo Lines ticket booth. He said that it is Php 500 for a round trip ticket to White Beach plus Php 50 Environmental Fee and Php 30 Terminal Fee. I give him my money (big mistake! Do not give your money to a strager!!!). After I handed him the money, I immediately realized how tanga I am to give money to a total stranger. So I just followed him with my eyes, from the Minolo booth to the Envi booth to the Terminal fee booth. Good thing he did not ran with my money J Anyway, I should suggest that these booths should be beside each other (just like in Boracay) so that passengers will not be confused and walked afar.

When I entered the terminal, he said to me: “Ikaw na po bahala sa akin, Ma’am.” The F! Naloko na naman ako ng mga kapwa Pilipino! I never really like the force-tip-unwritten-policy in our country. Nakakawalang gana magbigay. And I thought he is an employee of the tourism industry of the place or the shipping lines trying to help passengers. Anyway, I give him Php 50 and he politely thank me.
The terminal is quite decent and clean. There were food stalls and seats inside where passengers can rest while waiting for the boat. My boat to White Island is due to depart at 12:30 PM. 

As I search for departure gate, I was again greeted and approached by several ladies asking me if I already had a hotel to stay at the beach. I know their tactics so I said yes and they ask me many questions until they found out I did not reserved any room (I am not a good liar). They promoted their rooms saying that it is the cheapest and that if you book with them someone will welcome you at the beach and with all the flowery words. One offered me a room for Php 1500 with breakfast. Another told me not to get a room with breakfast since food is cheap at the island. They showed me pictures at their iPad and I said that I will think about it and will just approach them when I decided. They do that tactic to all tourist-looking people arriving at the terminal.

Every 5 minutes, someone from their group would come to me and offer me another room with a lower price, they really use several strategy so that you would gave in. The Php 1500 room even went as low as Php 1000! Imagine that! Ang laki ng commission nila kung kumuha ako kanina. I even told one woman na “Baka naman pagdating ko dun, ang mura naman pala ng mga hotel dun (which I know because I have done my research)” and the B lied saying that theirs is the lowest rate! So I called the resort at Galera and asked if they have vacant rooms and how much. Well, I got a room for Php 899! Goodbye ladies at the terminal. 

NOTE: Do not be deceived by their business talks and pictures because you can get even lower priced rooms as a walk-in guest at the resort itself. 

I almost regret going to Galera but then after I reserved a room, I refreshed my thoughts and just decided to be positive on this trip. Good thing I heard that my boat is due to depart and my excitement to see Galera changed my mood to a more positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics