Sunday

Cebu -- Sinulog Festival 2012

I have always wanted to witness the Sinulog Festival.  When I was in working in Cebu on 2005, I did not have the chance because I took advantage of the holiday and had a rest after a busy work week.  I didn’t even catch it on TV. 

Until last October, a friend invited me to visit Cebu.  And luckily, we got a plane ticket on promo just in time for Sinulog 2012.  But the agony came on booking for accommodation.  All cheap and affordable hotels seemed to be fully-booked on the Sinulog week.  I was getting discouraged.  Worst, on the last minute, my friend cancelled.  I am going to Cebu alone, without an itinerary and accommodation.  I searched the net for several nights stay and luckily, I found a decent backpacker’s hotel, Sugbutel Bed & Bath.  It is cheap and best of all, still has vacancy for Cebu City's famous festival.


Though I was a bit familiar with the Queen City of the South, I still brought a map just in case I got lost.  The map came in handy when I have to walk around the area where the Sinulog parade would pass through.  I have to catch the parade on the street since I was not able to get a ticket to the arena where the performances would occur.  Transportation was not allowed in the area.  I was dropped off somewhere at New Imus Road, I saw people who were heading to the parade.  I enjoyed walking because I pass performers lining up on the street.  While the parade was going on, I also walked along passing Fuente Osmena.  It was indeed a long walk (I think I walked 5km), thank God to my outdoor sandals, I was comfortable.  

Along the way were bleachers, food stalls, photographers and medical stations.  The experience was very memorable.  I was not able to take a picture of myself though.  After that trip, I discovered that a cousin and a friend were also there alone and like me, were not able to take pictures of themselves!

colorful costumes

beautiful queens

resting while waiting for their turn

expectant audience

dancing beauties

meet the world,  
S




No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics