Monday

Cebu City -- Taoist Temple

The good thing about traveling to Cebu City is that most of its tourist spots are within the city proper and are near each other. You can easily commute from one place to another without spending much. Aside from Sto. NiƱo and Magellan's Cross, another spot is the Taoist Temple located in Lahug, Cebu City. I have visited this place before during a field trip in college. After almost 10 years, my observation is still the same, though this is a religious place since it is a temple, it is flooded my many tourist and for me, it somehow lost the image of being a religious site. Some tourist and visitors, have forgotten the fact that for some, this is a place of worship and should be respected. We should be silent and we should avoid shouting and boisterous laughter in the area. 
my view while walking up
When I visited the place, it was a weekday, I expected less or no people at all. But then I remember that since it was Sinulog week, tourists, local and foreign, flocked Cebu City. Since it has been almost 10 years that I have not been to this place, I already forgot the way up there. But with the help of Google and my map, I have found my way around. I rode a jeepney routed to Lahug. I stopped at Jollibee and was greeted by habal habal drivers offering their services to bring me anywhere in the area. I inquired about going to Taoist Temple and they were very helpful. Since the temple is situated inside the Beverly Hills Subdivision, the habal habal will only bring me up to the entrance of the subdivision. I have then to walk a few meters up to the temple. The temple is situated 300 meters above sea level so expect a cardio exercise on your way.

have to walk a few meters but the view is
great and the air is cool
The driver was polite enough and chatted with me during the travel. He told me that I could ride the taxi on my way down or walk back to the entrance of the subdivision and wait for motorcycles. After dropping me off, I began to walk. It is a safe place since the subdivision is exclusive and well, the sun is still up. On my way, I passed by another temple which is not open to the public. 

I remember imagining walking at the Great Wall of China. Anyway, so much for the thought that I will be alone at the temple, I was surprised to see so many people. They even came in buses and jeepneys. The guard was so busy warning people especially teenagers to keep the voice down. It is a good place to relax, the air is cool and the view of downtown Cebu is awesome. 
at my back is the chapel 
For believers, there is a ritual that is done in the chapel. They pray and ask to grant their wish. Two blocks of wood would then be dropped. And then there are different interpretations depending on how the woods landed on the ground. Since I am not a believer of Taoism, I did not try it. But there were several people inside who did. Cameras are not allowed in the chapel, out of respect and so the worshipers can really concentrate on their purpose in the area.
the view from above
I am glad I visited the place. I got to witness the rituals and house of worship of a different religion. It is good that they have opened it to the public. In return, the visiting public should respect and observe the regulations of the place.

How to go:
  • Ride a jeepney going to Lahug and stop at JY Square. 
  • Near Jollibee, you can notice several single motorcycles for hire or habal habal. The drivers somewhat knew that you are a tourist and will offer you a ride. 
  • Negotiate with the driver to bring you to Taoist Temple. In my case, I was charged 30 pesos.
  • On your way back, walk the same path. There are also taxi cabs around so you can ride your way back to the city. 

Meet the world, 
~S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics