Thursday

Davao del Sur -- Digos City's Camp Sabros, Day 1

Since the evolution of zip line in the Philippines, Camp Sabros has been on my must-try list. Before, Camp Sabros has the longest in the Philippines with its 820 meters zip line. The zipline is the main reason why I want to go to this place. I never thought that Camp Sabros has so much to offer that I want to live in the place hehehehe...
Welcome!

Anyway, Camp Sabros is located at Sitio Barras, Brgy. Kapatagan, Digos City in Davao del Sur province. It is around 3-hour drive from Davao City. It is better to go to this place when you bring your own vehicle. But as I always say, the adventure begins in the journey itself. Last August 2011, during one of the long weekends, one of my close friends and I decided to meet up and visit the camp. We started very early and decided to stay one night in Sabros.
this is our view while sitting at the front seat of the van
We ride the bus up to the Digos City bus terminal. From there, we ride a tricycle and ask the driver to bring us to the old terminal or to the terminal for jeepney and vans. The old terminal is very big and not so organized. You have to walk a few meters to get to the van that will go to Kapatagan. Don't get your expectations so high on the quality of the vehicle. The route is going to a rural area and the road are not all concrete. The van will leave after it is full. Imagine that we waited for an hour because there is still space for one passenger. This passenger will sit at the front seat with me and my friend. So, the van technically is over loaded with 4 people, including the driver, in the front seat (had I known that arrangement, I should have paid the fare of the last person so that I can have more room and the van should have left earlier).

would pay more for this awesome ride

only few people know how much I enjoy to be in a foggy place
The trip started and as usual I was so excited because the scenery is very beautiful. The air becomes cooler as we go farther. We asked the driver to drop us off at the crossing to Camp Sabros. You have to ride a habal habal or a horse to get to the Camp site from the crossing. Of course, because I have not yet ridden a horse in my whole life, I choose the horse even if it would cost me more. It didn't cost more though, it is just the same with the motorcycle but would take more time. But my gosh, I would take the whole time to ride a horse and to savor the priceless scenery. Good thing the kutsero is very hospitable and talks as if he is a tourist guide. He even offered to take a picture of me at a very nice spot.
our cabin is good for 8, with a private toilet and bath
our dinner! each meal only costs around Php 80 and it's so yummy
catching up on what's new in our lives with my friend Lyn over some snack
At the camp itself, since we arrived at almost noon already, the tip of the Mt. Apo is not visible anymore. The sun is up but the air is so cool. I am so wowed by the place. And the people there, they were hospitable. I reserved for a room for two but it was already occupied, so they offered the cabin for 8 for the same price! We toured the place and tried the tandem zip line and then decided to take the rest of the rides the following day. At 3pm, the place was already so foggy and very cold. The camp has no entrance fee and you can bring your own food. There is a cafeteria which offers food at a reasonable price. We stayed indoors during night time enjoying our dinner and a bottle of beer while watching a movie.
A dream for me!
The place is ideal for couples and barkadas. You can bring your own coffee and can ask for a cup and hot water. Hot drinks and beers are needed to survive the very cool weather in this beautiful place.

How to go:

  • From the Ecoland Terminal in Davao City, take a bus bound for GenSan, this will have a stopover at Digos City
  • From the Digos Bus Terminal, ride a tricycle and ask to be brought to the old terminal
  • At the old terminal, walk and search for the van bound for Kapatagan. The locals there are very helpful and will point to you the van bound for Kapatagan. You can also ride a habal habal which will depart immediately
  • Ask the van driver to drop you off at the DENR Check Point. This is the check point for mountaineers going to Mt. Apo. Here, you can see a big signage on going to Camp Sabros which is on your right side. 
Meet the world, 
~S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics