Monday

Manila -- Fort Santiago

I have visited Metro Manila several times and have even stayed for a month but have not really explored the place. One reason is that I am so coward to try to commute and another is that I am simply afraid to be mugged. Being a girl from the province, I have seen Manila as a fast-paced environment, which I could not keep up.

On my latest visit to the Metro, I have a vacant afternoon so I called my cousin to accompany me to walk around the city or at least visit one tourist spot. I warned him that we should commute all the way and not ride a taxi so that I can master my way around. 

After my business at the Bureau of Immigration, we decided to go to Intramuros, after all, we were already in the vicinity. Fort Santiago is located at the northern part of Intramuros. It is open daily at 8:00 AM. It is said to be one of the oldest Hispanic stone fortresses in the country. We payed the entrance fee of Php 75 and started to walk around. Fortunately, my cousin is taking up his Masters Degree in UP and part of their requirements is an educational tour in Fort Santiago. So, I am quite lucky of having my own tour guide discussing to me the history of the place and things we passed by. 
I liked this mirror at the Visitor's Center
things at the museum
Upon entry, you will first pass the Baluartillo de San Francisco Javier. This is said to be built on 1663. There are several rooms here. One is the Intramuros Visitors Center. It is like the Tourism Office where you can get maps and pamphlets about the place. There is also the museum that housed several old findings in the place. We took several minutes in the audio visual room where we watch a short video presentation about the history of Fort Santiago and Intramuros. Also located in this strip are the souvenir and coffee shops. 

old canyons and anchor; the view from the top part
Along the way, I was amazed to see several old canyons and an anchor. There was also the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. This is a chapel constructed in 1773. This place is also great for family and barkada since there are spots for picnic. Since we visited the place on a weekday, only few people were there. But I could see some foreigners in the place so I am quite proud that this place too has attracted some non-Filipinos. Anyway, during weekends, more people tour the place especially those students who are having an educational tour.
cell of Rizal

mementoes of Rizal
the Huling Paalam in Braille

I especially enjoyed going inside the Rizal Shrine. Displayed here were Rizal's things, works and other mementoes. It is also the room were the National Hero was confined during his trial for sedition. Literary works of Rizal were displayed in large sizes. I was a bit disappointed though because I observed that there were no surveillance cameras inside so visitors can do harm to the historical things if they want to. 

even the guards are in costume
Visiting Fort Santiago brings you back to the Spanish Era. You see the things that were only mentioned in books. And when you see the fortress from the top, you will imagine what it was like during the time of our forefathers. I imagined it was tough to be a Filipino then. And then I wished I have listed and internalized the lessons in Philippine history when I was in college. 

meet the world,
~S


Note: 

  • Of course, I did not take notes while touring around Fort Santiago. So, in order to write the right information here, I also consulted the maps and pamphlets I got from the Intramuros Visitors Center.
  • I am not able to provide the "how to go" part since I still think that transpo in Manila is complicated and I am not so familiar with it. But in this trip, we mostly walk. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics